Zen Mama's teaching blog

Tuesday, October 12, 2004

Tuesday's grammar fun

To get this week off to a super-fun start, today we're going to do two in-class grammar exercises. (audible groans)

First, if you brought your Literature Review draft, I want you to find the three sentences that I underlined during my conference with you. (If you forgot to bring your draft or if you haven't yet met with me to discuss your draft, you can use a classmate's three sentences.)

On a blank piece of paper, I want you to write a CORRECTED version of each of your three underlined sentences. You don't need to copy the "wrong" sentence; I just want to see three grammatically correct sentences. (You can correct your sentences in any way you see fit: you might add or remove punctuation, you might add or remove words or phrases, you might separate or join several sentences, etc.) I encourage you to work in groups and to ASK ME FOR HELP as you work on fixing your three sentences: I also encourage you to use the Punctuation Cheat Sheet which is posted in the Course Documents area of our Blackboard course-site.

When you've fixed your three sentences, give those to me and then log into Blackboard to take Grammar Quiz 2, which covers the Glossary of Usage in Diana Hacker's A Writer's Reference. Note that you can take this quiz multiple times, you can use your book to take the quiz, and the questions will appear in random order each time you access the quiz. The quiz will be online for you to take & re-take at your convenience until midnight next Monday, October 18th.

Good luck!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home